Thursday, October 9, 2008

Life is Good: Bucket List Ideas!

It doesn't take much to make me feel hopeful. My mood brightens upon hearing the voice of one of my kids on the other end of the phone line.  If the mail carrier brings something other than junk or bills---a  magazine or card or maybe even a letter, well, she's made my day!  I break into a smile when I open an email from a friend or family member.

Today is one of those days. The sun is shining brightly and the air feels crisp and clean.  Traffic moved quickly on the way in to work, always a plus for a rush-hour commuter.  So it feels like a good morning, in spite of any problems that may be lurking on the horizon.  And, let's face it, there is always something.  That's the nature of life--ups and downs, twists and turns occur on a regular basis, making life unpredictable and, ultimately, more interesting--at least to me.  I don't wish for a steady but flat-lined existence. Rather, I long for adventure of some sort.  Perhaps it is time for me to compile my own "bucket list" of things to do before I leave this earth. What would it include...hmm?  I wonder?  

Here are a few of the things that I would hope to experience, not necessarily in this order, and not necessarily under my control:


Witness the wedding of my son, Jeff.
Witness the wedding of my daughter, Amy.
See both Amy and Jeff become parents.
Take my grandchildren on a trip to Disneyworld.
See the Grand Canyon.
Read all of the books on my bookshelf.
Write at least one book that gets published.
Have a successful vegetable garden.
Join a bike club.
Begin roller blading.
See Maine in autumn and eat lobster.
Swim in the Pacific Ocean.
Do another backpacking trip in the mountains.  (yes, really!)
Learn to kayak.
Participate in the breast cancer 3-day walk.
Open a spirituality or retreat center.
Learn a foreign language.  (working on Spanish now with minimal success)
Take another  painting class.
Play my guitar and piano on a regular basis.
Take a cooking class.
Travel long-distance by train.
Retire!
Repaint every room in my house.
Paint a mural.
Bake the perfect apple pie.
Reunite with at least one long-lost friend.
Work a potter's wheel.
Write a song.
Re-join my church choir.
Act in local theatre.
Join a museum or zoo.
Pick up my knitting and learn new patterns.
See every state in the U.S.
Go on another cruise.
Learn to play a violin--the most beautiful of instruments.
Lose weight and keep it off for good!

to be continued...


2 comments:

Petula said...

Your list is great and I have some of the same things on mine. Now that we've started our list how do we begin in getting one of the ideas completed/started? I think I posted about the Bucket List too quite some time ago. You've got me to thinking about it again... maybe I'll pull it out and see if there's something I can do soon. :D Thanks.

Lin said...

I think most of them are so do-able, Diane! I know how to knit if you want to get motivated, maybe we can visit a knitting store for inspiration. Or make apple pies together--I have a really good crust recipe from Betty (Crocker). Painting rooms is great after the holidays when there is no pressure. Go, Diane, Go!

I'm with Petula--maybe I'll make a list too. I'm glad you are more optimistic today!