Friday, October 3, 2008

Paying Tribute to Nathaniel Taylor, Jr.

A police officer was murdered last weekend as he attempted to serve a warrant.  Nathaniel Taylor, Jr.'s funeral will be here at St. Bede this morning.  I came to work early because the streets will be closed and parking will be scarce.  Hundreds of police officers from various departments are expected to fill our church and campus.  They offer tribute to this brother of theirs who paid the ultimate price while serving on our behalf.

I didn't know Officer Taylor, but from what I've read and heard, he was quite a guy.  I know that his families--including both relatives and police brethren--will give him a hero's send-off.  A great number of hours went into the planning.  Clergy and police and musicians, sound technicians, typists and printers, all working together.

It is right that it is gray and rainy, as if God himself is mourning.  I think about Taylor's family, his wife and young daughter.  Wives, especially, are always aware of the danger.  My secretary's husband is a Chicago P.D. Sargeant, and she tells me about her feelings.  

"You kind of get used to it," she says.  "But not really.  Every siren, every call, brings it back."  Would that her husband always be safe.  

One call, one unexpected moment while doing the duty to which he'd sworn.  And now, our streets have one less hero, making us less safe today than we were a week ago.


1 comment:

Lin said...

I thought of you when I heard that they would be having the officer's services at St. Bede's. It makes it more close, more personal, when it is physically near to you. I said a silent prayer for him and his family.

How scary to be a policman these days--can't even imagine being a wife of one. I think of Nora often. How brave to go out there, day after day, and not know what you'll face in the most innocent of interactions.