Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rain Isn't the Only Thing I Wish Would Go Away!

Today as my secretary and I came back to the office after grabbing a late lunch, we passed by a home where the front sidewalk and stairs were covered in deep snow.  It was a beautiful, pristine drift of pure white fluff that had obviously been there for several days.

At first I thought the home might be unoccupied, but there were two vehicles in the driveway.  The driveway was free and clear of any snow, so obviously somebody was there caring for the place.

"How do they get mail delivery?"  I wondered.  And then I saw it.  There in the window of the front storm door was a poster, with printing large enough to be read from the street: "Go away!"

That says it all in no uncertain terms.  Go away!  

Today is one of those days where I could see myself saying "Go away!" to people who annoy me.  I just wish that one Tuesday would run smoothly, that every volunteer would show up, that all the kids would behave and do what they're told.  But already three people have called off and it's only 4:20.  The likelihood of at least one more person bailing on us is high.  

It's hard, I know, to commit to volunteering.  It's a lot of work for very little reward.  But, people are counting on this service.  It's getting to the point where both my secretary and I have sleepless Monday nights.  Instead, we lie awake wondering what problems Tuesday will bring and how on earth we will get through another full day of damage control.

Yes, I'm stressed today.  I can't feel hopeful or positive; I'm just worn out.  It's one of those days where I myself want to Go Away! Anybody want to go with me?

2 comments:

Tao Master said...

I loved the start of your essay - and then
GO AWAY !!!!!!

Perhaps the kids will go away and then you can go away (home) and
dream of going away - on a plane to

Cleveland !!!

Just kidding - hope everything works out but I think that things will get better
(Can't get much worse)

Maybe writing will chase the blues away.
Love you,
Frank

Lin said...

I love this! I like the "go away" sign--I would LOVE one. Wouldn't we all? And what would it take for someone to make a sign like that? Hmmm......