Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gratitude

When times are hard comfort can found by focusing on that for which one is grateful.  Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I'll save my novel posting for later.  Instead, these are things for which I am grateful:

Family:  Even my immediate family is scattered far and wide.  Jeff is in DC, Amy in Okinawa and Erin and her family are in Mahomet, just west of Champaign, Illinois.  It's funny that we used to think of Champaign as being so far away!  My husband and I raised three wonderful kids, all adults now, off and doing their own thing.  Jeff and Erin will be here this weekend; Amy will be in Okinawa for a few more weeks. But I am grateful that they are healthy and doing well.  We support one another through thick and thin--that IS family.

Friends:  I have wonderful friends!  We don't see each other as often as we used to, but when we do we pick up right where we left off!  Friends, like family, are always there for you when you really need them.

Writing group:  I really enjoy my new friends in the writing group.  They are positive, supportive influences that keep me thinking and writing.  It's always great to get together with them to compare stories and give and receive support.

Work:  While I don't often like or appreciate my job, it helps to keep the wolf from the door.  So I am grateful that I am still employed and hope it lasts for awhile longer.

Home:  Home is where I can really let my hair down and be myself.  Sure, my 140+ year old house always needs work, but that's okay.   We do what we can when we can.  We have a roof and heat, what more could one ask for?

Food:  I really appreciate food of all kinds!  Thankfully, we have a fairly well-stocked pantry, which we will share with family this weekend.  

Pets:  Our two dogs, while often a pain in the neck, provide unconditional love and comfort. I'm grateful to receive that from them.  They're always happy to see me.

Faith:  My faith keeps me going when times are rough. We have a strong faith community that supports one another and provides a feeling of belonging.

Country:  I am grateful to live in a country that values freedom and democracy.  And, I'm thankful that Obama was elected.  I truly believe he will be transformational and continue to offer hope during difficult times ahead.

Health:  I've had serious health issues in the past but right now things seem to be going okay. It's true that without your health you have nothing. I'm glad to be here for another thanksgiving and vow to do all that I can to keep myself fit and strong.

These are my top ten--not necessarily in any particular order.  True, I copied the idea from Lin, but what better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than to focus on all that you have.  Life may sometimes be hard, but it is still good.  Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Lin said...

I liked your list today--it is good to see what everyone else is thankful for, it reminded me of things I forgot to put on my list.

I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving, lots of family around you, tons of good food, and loads of laughs. I am thankful I got to know you this year as you have added so much inspiration and encouragement to my writing life. Enjoy your holiday and have fun at the American Girl store!!